After participating in a college visit presentation with my daughter and wife at the Marriott Hotel in Oakbrook, we decided to get a little snack by visiting McDonald’s across the street. It was a very large and modern McDonald’s and because it was after 8 pm on a Sunday evening and we were 1 hour from home, we chose the drive-thru.
We noticed there were two drive-thru options at this McDonald’s…but which one to take? Are they both open? Because there was a car on the left side, I decided to get serviced ASAP by choosing the right side. This turned out to be the wrong choice as only one person was working the drive thru windows so I had to wait my turn.
I ordered small and medium fries, one vanilla cone, a cheeseburger and a grilled cheese (cheeseburger without the burger). My daughter also wanted a Shamrock Shake which they didn’t have. Anyway, they had three separate pick-up windows open (1, 2 and 3) and we weren’t sure where to go (our first time visit). It took 7 minutes to receive our order and when reviewed our order (which isn’t something I should need to do), I saw an Angus burger and fries. I immediately told the woman this was the wrong order who said she’d take care of it. She asked what I ordered and I repeated the order again. She also asked for my receipt which I had never received when I paid for my order.
About 5 minutes later, I received another bag with my order. This time, it contained a cheeseburger and chicken wrap. No French fries or grilled cheese (I already had received my cone, which is one thing they got right). Again, I sent it back and repeated my order very slowly. I was sure this time she understood exactly what I had originally ordered.
About 3 minutes later, they gave me a bag with the correct french fry order but no cheeseburger and grilled cheese. Again, I repeated my order as we held on to the fries.
It must have been amusing for the woman who waited on us as she was laughing as my wife explained all the mix-ups with our order.
Should not the employee apologize for not getting our order right one time? Two times or three?
A FEW OTHER NOTES
When we arrived, there was just one car ahead of us and it was at 8:15 pm on Sunday evening. Certainly not a busy time…
I seldom order food from McDonald’s — maybe about 3-4 times a year and this was not the experience I expected.
Ironically, this was my worst service experience ever at McDonald’s, right down the street from Hamburger University (McDonald’s corporate headquarters).
9 QUESTIONS FROM THIS EXPERIENCE
1. Why didn’t they provide a receipt after the sale?
2. If Shamrock Shakes are available to help celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, why are they unavailable less than 2 weeks from St. Patrick’s Day?
3. How did they mistaken my order 3 times before we had to go inside and see the manager?
4. Is it common to have customer service issues at this restaurant down the street from Hamburger University?
5. Why so many errors when it was Sunday evening with only one customer ahead of us? Why did the entire process take about 20 minutes?
6. The second and third time she handed us the bag of food, why didn’t she review the order before giving it to us? Why do we need to confirm it? Shouldn’t she know what the order is?
7. When she learned I wasn’t supplied a receipt and she verified my order before bringing out my food the 2nd time, why not write down my order clearly to ensure the mistake only occurs once?
8. How come you have two separate drive-thru options available in the evening if they are only being staffed by one person. Why set the expectation that you will be served ASAP when you pull up to an available ordering station?
9. Do they work directly with mystery shoppers to provide feedback on their product and service? If so, I’m sure the restaurant has some work to do.